Share this photo on Twitter Share this photo on Facebook

高倉橋

Posted by
GJC (Kyoto, Japan) on 23 November 2011 in People & Portrait.

This beautiful bridge in the Imperial Palace grounds was built in 1878 and it crosses a pond that was once part of the garden of a powerful noble family named Kujō (九条家). When the Emperor Meiji moved the capital to Edo and renamed the city Tokyo [東京都; literally the "Eastern capital" to distinguish it from Kyoto to the west] the old Imperial Palace was abandoned and began to fall apart. This bridge was part of the Emperor Meiji's effort to restore grandeur to the grounds, but the exquisite Kujō family estate gradually decayed and disappeared. Now all that remains is a tea house and the old garden pond, surveyed by the Emperor's new bridge.

NIKON D300 1/100 second F/4.5 ISO 200 52 mm (35mm equiv.)

NIKON D300
1/100 second
F/4.5
ISO 200
52 mm (35mm equiv.)

kyoto
palace
京都御所
御所